Here are the key things to know:
- Users now don’t need to download multiple railway apps as the new SAARTHI app will allow them to perform various functions.
- They can also book air ticket through the app. Mr Prabhu also announced a quota facility for differently-abled people in 3AC coach and extending the advance booking period for foreigners to 365 days from present 120 days.
- A lower berth in a 3AC coach will be reserved for physically-challenged people and the middle for the individual accompanying them. But, there will be only one such berth in the 3AC coach of a train.
- The quota provision which was only in the sleeper class (2 berths) has now been extended to the 3AC as well.
- While booking tickets through the app, users can also share their feedback.
- In a move to promote the use of cleaner fuels while launching the first solar powered DEMU train, Mr Prabhu said, “Indian Railways is trying to increase use of non-conventional sources of energy.”
- “First rake has been commissioned and based at Shakurbasti DEMU shed in Delhi of Northern Railway. Twenty-four more coaches will be fitted with this system within the next six months,” the ministry said in a statement.
- According to the ministry’s estimates, a solar-powered train with six trailer-coaches has the potential to save about 21,000 litres of diesel and thereby effect a cost saving of Rs. 12 lakh every year.
- The entire electrical needs of the train are fulfilled by power produced from solar panels fitted on the roof of coaches.