Shri R.K. Kulshrestha, General Manager, Southern Railway has conducted a Press Meet to brief the performance of Southern Railway during 2017-18 in various areas of Zonal Railway working, its targets, and the milestones achieved YTD (2017-18):
This year Southern Railway completed 2 major projects of doubling with electrification in Tamil Nadu i.e. Villupuram – Dindigul Doubling 270 Km at a total cost of 1600 Cr.
This year the following sections were commissioned:-
- Manaparai- Kalpattichatram section ( 23 Kms) commissioned on 08.06.2017.
- Kalpattichatram – Tamaraipadi doubling 25 kms on 30.03.2018.
With this entire Chennai to Madurai 495 Km is doubled in SR.
- Tiruchchirapalli –Thanjavur Doubling 47 Km at a total cost of 350 Cr.
- Works are also in progress for doubling of Madurai – Tuticorin 160 Km for total cost of 1200 Cr. And Vanchi Maniyachi – Nagercoil 102 Km at a total cost of 1000 Cr. This will boost railway infrastructure greatly for SR.
- Pollachi- Podanur section (40 Kms)Gauge Conversion was completed and commissioned on 15.07.2017 as a part of Dindigul-PollachiPalakkad/Podanur&Podanur-Coimbatore at a total cost of Rs.300 crores.
- Rly also completed Karaikudi – Pattukottai Gauge conversion 73 kmscompleted at a total cost of 548 Cr. has been commissioned for traffic.
- Rly also completed New Aryankavu – Edamann stretch (21 km)at a cost of 185 Cr., the last stretch of Sengottai – Punalur GC project on 12th and 13thJanaury, 2018. With this the entirestretch of Sengottai – Punalur gauge conversion has been completed at to total cost of 358 Cr.
- Southern Railway has completed a total of 134 Gauge conversion Kms and 113 Kms of doubling Kms i.e. 247 Kms of Doubling cum Gauge Conversion works during 2017-18, highest in recent past years and this year alone, SR has spent 296 Crores on Gauge Conversion, Rs.545 Crores on Doubling.
- 33 Railway portion of ROB/RUBs were completed at a total cost of Rs. 318 Cr.and 19 ROB/RUBs were commissioned.
- A new Coaching terminal at Tambaram has started functioning ad more trains are planned to run down South.
- Electrification of 2 important sections i.e. Erode – Karur – Tiruchchirappalli (141Kms) and Karur – Dindigul (72 Kms) were commissioned at total cost of 171 Cr.
- Electrification of Salem – Karur 85 RKM (120 Cr.) and Tiruchy-Thanjavur-Nagapattinam-Karaikal 153 RKM,( 226 Cr.) are also going on and are expected to commission this year.
- Electrification of Villupuram-Cuddalore-Mayavaram-Thiruvarur/Thanjavur 228 RKM (320 Cr.) and Villupuram – Cuddalore Port 46 RKm(75 Cr.) are also sanctioned and works have been started.
- As of now 3004 RKM out of 5079 RKm in SR have been electrified,14 % is electrified as on 31.3.18.
- Southern Railway has earned 7670 crores (approx) during 2017-18 as gross earnings registering a growth of 2.1% over last year.
- The apportioned passenger earnings of 2017-18 were 4262 crores withan increase of 6.21% over last year.
- Freight earnings of 2017-18 were Rs.2739crores (approx.) during 2017-18 with an increase of 4.7% compared to last year.
- Southern Railway has spent an amount of 100 crores for provision of passenger amenities as against 71crores during 2016-17.
- Against Railway Board target of Rs. 220 Crs. (2017-18), Southern Railway has acccrued Rs.230.06 Crs. From sales of scrap as against Rs. 200 Cr. Last year.
- During April-March 2017-18, a total of 2323 Specials were run to clear extra rush of passengers during Summer/Winter months, festival season and long weekends compared to 1610 Specials in 2016-17.
- A Total of 1696 Suvidha and Special Fare specials carried 14.48Lakhs passengers during 2017-18 compared to 1298 specials carrying 9.27Lakhs passengers during 2016-17, generating a revenue of Rs.106.16 crores. Optimum utilization of assets was done when planning for specials which resulted in 39.3% increase in earnings. The occupancy of Suvidha specials were 95% on this Railway compared with all Railway average of 75%.
- 53 coaches werepermanently augmented in 56 M/E trains and 12 passenger trains in 2017-18.
- 3242 coaches were temporarily augmented creating additional capacity of 2,19,640 berths/seats, generating a revenue of Rs.13.28 crores during 2017-18.
- 6 new Express trains were introduced including 2 long destination trains during 2017.
- Train No.16576 MAJN-YPR Express from 12.04.2017
- Train No 22919 MAS-ADI (Humsafar) from 10.05.2017
- Train No 16793 RMM-FD Express from 06.08.2017
- Train No 20601 MAS-MDU Express from 03.11.2017
- Train No 20602 MDU-MAS Express from 05.11.2017
- Train No 16512 CAN-SBC Express from 11.02.2018
- (Hamsafar Express and ShraddhaSethu Express (Rameswaram-Faizabad via Ayodya) flagged-off by Hon’ble PM).
- Antyodaya rakes will be introduced in Tambaram-Sengottai, Tambaram-Thirunelveli and Mangalore-Kochuveli sections.
- Two pairs of Shatabdi Express trains, Chennai-Mysuru-Chennai & Chennai-Coimbatore-Chennai Shatabdi rakes were refurbished under ‘Swarn Scheme’. of Govt. of India.
- Anubhuthi coaches run by Chennai-Mysore (from 12.01.2018) and Chennai-Coimbatore Shatabdi expresses (from 26.01.18)are highly popular.Model rake with modern facilities have been inducted in Venad express and has been appreciated by public.
- Double Decker Coaches (11 Nos.) were refurbished/upgraded with provision of Poly Vinyl Wrapping on Coach Interiors/Exteriors, Wi-Fi enabled Infotainment System with LCD Display, Pantry with Coffee and Snacks Vending Units etc. The above Coaches are planned to ply between Coimbatore and Bengaluru shortly.
- LHB Coaches were introduced in 12673/74 Cheran Express from 10/11/2017. As on date, so far a total of 12 trains with 451 coaches have been provided with LHB coaches in SR.
- For the first time, Southern Railway has brought out a proper Time Table of Summer Specials in a soft version.The time table has all sector wise summer specials proposed during April – June 2018, with detailed timings.The QR code has been put on display at major stations and at the reservation counters. Passengers can scan the code and download the timetable into their smartphones.
Freight Traffic Developments:
- There was 29 % increase in the inwards Freight trains to SR.
- Following are the new traffic captured by SR.
- 202 rakes of Pet Coke loaded during 2017-18 , with a Revenue ofRs. 87.5 crores.
- Automobile traffic has increased from 195 rakes(2016-17) with a revenue of 43.4 crores to 235 rakes (2017-18) with a revenue of 55 crores. Automobile loading on Southern Railway has been growing continuously in the last 5 years, with this year registering a 20% growth in earnings.
- Cement traffic has increased from 440 rakes (2016-17) with a revenue of 74 croresto 519 rakes (2017-18) with a revenue of 91.5 crores.
- On introduction of Station To Station rates (STS) ,cement earnings have increased by 32%. Copper slag which was hitherto moving by road was captured by rail for the first time. Gypsum movement which had ceased to move by rail 2 years back resumed with the grant of this concession.
- As a result of STS scheme, the Rail Co-efficient has increased by 4%.
- All 714 stations opened for traffic have been provided with 100 % LED LIGHTINGas on March 2018. This would result in savings in energy to the tune of 7.98 million units and would reduce the energy bill by Rs.6.048 crores. Besides, 603 service buildings are provided with 100% LED lighting.
- Golden Rock Workshop has been awarded the FIRST prize in the ‘National energy Conservation award 2017’ by BEE. GOC has also won the prestigious 5-Star Label for Energy Efficiency from BEE.GOC also bagged the National Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award from Confederation of Indian Industry in 2017.
- 207 KwpSolar panels have been commissioned during 2017-18. With this, Southern Railway has installed 402.45 Kwp Solar Panels so far.
- EMU Workshop Tambaram has received 5-S Work Place Management Certificate. The unit has already bagged ISO 9001, 4001, 18001 and 50001 accreditations.
Elimination of Unmanned and Manned Level crossings:
- In this regard, Southern Railway has eliminated 158 Unmanned LCs during the year 2017-18.
- In addition, 45 Manned LCs have also been eliminated by provision of Road Over Bridge, Subway, Diversion etc.
- As on date no Unmanned LCs exist in state of Kerala.
- Also there are no Unmanned LCs in Chennai, Palakkad & Thiruvananthapuram Divisions of Southern Railway.
- There are no unmanned LC s in A, B, C routes of SR covering 1375 km out of total 5079 RKM.
- Unmanned LCs in D, E routes also will be eliminated by September 2018.
- The number of consequential accidents decreased to 3 during the year 2017-18 compared to 8 during the year 2016-17. There was no loss of life or injury to any passengers in these accidents.
- 59 LC gates were interlocked during the year 2017-18 to improve the safety.
- Southern Railway achieved highest ever Track Renewal (TRR) of 367.66 TKMs, Sleeper Renewal with new Sleepers for 256 Kms, and Turnout renewal of 252 sets during the year 2017-18. This is the Highest ever progress of Complete Track Renewals (CTR(P)) / Through Sleeper Renewals (TSR (P)) by Machines by SR.
- SR has rehabilitated/rebuilt 53 Nos. of bridges at a cost of Rs.40 crores.
- SR has introduced Under water inspection with remote operated robotic vehicle for the first time in IR for enhancing safety of bridges.
- SR has also carried out drone surey of 3 mega bridges of Nethravathi, Cauvery and Pamban bridges.
- Centre of Excellence for ‘LHB Air Brake’ has been established at Carriage Works, Perambur. This will help in improving quality of Overhaul in Workshops for Coaching stock.
- 5 Kms of Automatic Signalling, Electronic Interlocking system in 21 stations, and Datalogger/RTU facilities at 159 stations have been commissioned this year as steps to enhance safety.
- Southern Railway has spent an amount of 100 crores for provision of passenger amenities as against. 71crores during 2016-17.
- Divyang friendlyfacilities are available at 8 A1, 41 A and 22 B category and many other stations additonally.
Lifts and Escalators:
- 61 Nos. of Lifts have been provided at 30 stations.11 Eleven Lifts (Tamil Nadu – 3 Stations & Kerala – 4 Stations) at the following stations have been commissioned in the year 2017-18. Chennai Central – 1 No., Tiruppur – 2 Nos. &Katpadi – 1 No.Kannur – 2 Nos., Vadakara – 2 Nos., Trissur – 2 Nos. &Ernakulam Town – 1 No.
- 84 Nos. of Escalators have been provided at 34 stations.9 Nine Escalators (Tamil Nadu – 3 Stations & Kerala – 5 Stations) at the following stations have been commissioned in the year 2017-18 Coimbatore – 2 Nos., Katpadi – 1 No. &Nagercoil – 1 No..Ernakulam Town – 1 No., Kayankulam – 1 No. , Alappuzha – 1 No., Trivandrum Central – 1 No. &Chengannur – 1 No.
- App based Cab Services provided at 12 stations during 2017-18
Tiruchchirappalli, Erode, Coimbatore (Main Entry), Coimbatore (Second Entry), Coimbatore North, Mettupalaiyam, Thiruvananthapuram Central, Ernakulam Jn., Ernakulam North, Aluva, Thrissur, Mangalore Central, Mangalore Jn.
- Battery Operated cars for the use of Divyang, sick and senior citizen passengers are provided at 11 stations during 2017-18 on payment basis – Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Tiruchchirappalli Junction, Nagapatinam, Madurai, Salem, Erode, Coimbatore Junction, Thiruvananthapurma Central and Kozhikkode stations.
- Emergency medical centre at 23stationshave been provided so far. (Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Jolarpettai, Tambaram, Katpadi, Tiruchirapalli, Karaikudi, Madurai, Dindigul, Salem, Karur, Erode, Coimbatore, ,Kumbakonnam, Tanjore, Mayavaram, Tiruvarur, Nagapattinam, Tiruvanthapuram, Ernakulam, Cannanore, Calicut, Qilon).Emergency Medical Assistance booths are provided at 8 stations during 2017-18.Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Mayiladuthurai, Tiruvarur, Nagapattinam, Nagercoil Jn., Kannur, Kozhikode.
- A/C paid waiting hall were provided at 16 stations so far. (Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Coimbatore, Salem, Erode, Madurai, Thirupur, Katpdi, Tiruchirapalli, Calicut, Mangalore, Ernakulam, Ernakulam Town, Tirchur, Quilon, Thiruvanthapuram). AC Paid Waiting halls are provided at 5 stations during 2017-18.Tiruppur, Katpadi, Thrisur, Quilon, Thiruvananthapuram Central.
- Deluxe Rest rooms were providedat 6 stations so far. (Salem, Erode, Tirupur, Coimbatore, Tiruchirapalli, Chennai Central).
- Provision of Wi-fi at all A1, A and B category stations: M/s RCIL has carried out the work in collaboration with Google to provide Wi-fi at 37 stationsso far. (Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, , Madurai, Coimbatore, Calicut, Tambaram, Arakkonam, Tiruchirappali, Mangalore, Quilon, Mettupalayam, Coonur, Uathagamandalam, Chengalpet, Katpadi, Jolarpettai, VillupuramKumbakonnam, Tanjore, Rameshwaram, Salem, Karur, Erode, Nagarcoil, Dindigul, TirunelveliThiruvanthapuram, Ernakulam, Thrissur). 21 stations were provided with Wifi during the year 2017-18.
- All women facilitation centres at 7 stationswere provided this year (Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Tiruchirappalli, Coimbatore, Madurai, Calicut, Thriuvanthapuram ) to assist lady passengers.
- 31 UTS/PRS locations were converted as IUTS (UTS cumPRS) locations during the year 2017 -18 over Southern Railway.
- Online booking of Retiring Rooms commissioned at 7 stations during 2017-18. As on date, out of 66 stations, 41 stations have been provided with online facility for advance booking of retiring rooms by the passengers. Further this facility will be extended to 10 more stations in the near future.
- 6 Food Plazas have been commissioned during 2017-18 at Madurai, Tambaram,Chennai Beach, Ernakulam North, Erode, Thrisur, with these 17 Food Plazas are available at 16 stations.
- 4 Fast Food units have been commissioned during 2017-18 at Arakkonam, Varkala, Thiruvanmiyur and Chennai Egmore (second entry). With these this facility is available at 8 stations.
- 98 Water Vending Machines have been provided during 2017-18. So far 155 nos are provided over this Railway and more are in process.
- Integrated Security System has been implemented at 14 important Railway stations viz,. Chennai Central, Chennai Egmore, Chennai Beach, Basin Bridge, Tiruvallur, Mambalam, Tambaram, Trivandrum Central, Ernakulam, Coimbatore, Mangalore, Calicut, Madurai &Trichy over Southern Railway. Separate CCTV control rooms are functioning at above 14 stations to ensure safety and security of passengers.
- Under Nirbhaya fund, Rs.72 Crores has been sanctioned for the provision of CCTVs in the 136 Railway stations classified as A1, A, B & C including Suburban Railway stations over Southern Railway.
- On an average,331 Mail/ExpressTrains including Suburban Trains are escorted daily with 873 RPF staff. Maximum night trains are escorted by RPF/GRP personnel.
- Child Help Desk provided at 2 stations (Chennai Central & Chennai Egmore)
- Tourism Help Desk is functional at 2 stations viz.,Rameswaram and Madurai and manned by RPF Personnel
- During the year, 2623 missing baggages of passengers were retrieved and safely handed over to the rightful owners.
- 979 runaway/missing children rescued by RPF personnel in association with Child Helpline during 2017-18.
- RPF personnel provided medical assistance was provided to 1320 passengers during the year.
- 919 calls were received in RPF Security Helpline 182 during the year and the complaints so registered were resolved in a time-bound manner.
- Women Security: The year 2018 has been declared as “Year of Women’s Safety” on Railways by Hon’ble MR. In this regard, “Women Safety Fortnight” conducted from 26.03.18 to 09.04.18 in Southern Railway during which all-out efforts were made to ensure fool proof security to women travelling on Railways.
- 04 Ladies special EMUs are escorted by Women RPF staff called “Sakthi Padai’ and ladies coaches of 08 Express trains are escorted by Women RPSF personnel. Further, ladies coaches of 137 EMU trains running between 18.00 hrs and 06.00 hrs are also escorted by men RPF personnel.
- Three platoons including one “Mahila Platoon of RPSF”is being deployed for strengthening of passenger security especially for Women passengers.
Focus on Heritage:
- Heritage Special Voyage in NMR – Weekend Summer special service with steam locos has been introduced between Mettupalayam and Coonoor from 31.3.2018. One Heritage Summer Special Train no: 06170/71 with 3 Coaches refurbished by GOC was introduced and will run upto 24.06.2018.The service is a premium service to cater domestic, foreign tourists with a special fare along with value added services.There are two types of coaches, two first class and one second class coach, the total capacity of the train is 132 seats. The occupancy of the special train on the last run is above 80%.
- 7th Heritage Train Run of EIR 21 was organised by SR on 26.01.2018 – as part of the Republic Day celebrations. EIR 21 is the oldest working steam locomotive in the world hauling a single coach was operated between Egmore and Kodambakkam. Loco works/Perambur took the challenge of reviving the 163 year old world’s oldest running steam loco EXPRESS EIR 21 in the year 2010. Another running oldest steam loco Fairy Queen EIR 22 has also been refurbished by Loco Works/Perambur of Southern Railway.
Passenger complaints received through Twitter/Social Media/Helpline are being redressed by Southern Railway and there is 21% reduction in Public complaints during the last quarter of the year 2017-18.
- On-Board Housekeeping Services (OBHS) are available in 85 trains over Southern Railway. Services on 25 more trains planned shortly.
- The Kozhikode railway station in Kerala was ranked the best in India by travellers in terms of cleanliness in a survey by a app-based travel portal ‘Travel app ixigo’.
- 2 Boot laundries are operational in Southern Railway at Basin Bridge and Kochuveli. 4 more would be established at Madruai, Coimbatore , Mangalore and Ernakulam to take care 100% linen of Southern Railway and will eliminate passenger complaints.
- 64 railway stations have outsourced Sanitation Contracts.
- Southern Railway has surpassed the target in fitment of Bio toilets in Coaches for the current year 2017-18. 65% of coaches over SR are fitted with Biotoilets. All 6229 coaches of Southern Railway would have biotoilets by Dec.2018.
Focus of 2018-19:
- Land acquisition for the following projects has been completed :
- Chengannur – Chingavanam and Ambalappuzha – Harippad doubling
- Kuruppanthara – Ettumannur Doubling project except one plot. Hence the work of doubling at Chengannur – Chingavanam, Ambalapuzha – Haripad and Kuruppanthara – Ettumanur sections are expected to complete this Year.
- Final location survey for Angamali – Erumeli section has recommenced.
- Kerala Rail Development Corporation Limited (KRDCL) a joint venture company between Ministry of Railways and Government of Kerala with equity participation 49:51 ratio started functioning. They are in the process of finalizing Detailed Project Report (DPR) for Major Railway Projects.
- Third line project from Ernakulam to Shoranur 100 KMs , Coaching facility at Nemam are newly sanctioned projects this year and Preparation of DPR are in progress.
- Doubling works of Omalur-Mettur dam 29 km. will be completed in 2019.
- The Work on doubling of track between Thiruvananthapuram – Kanniyakumari section (86.56 Kms) at an Estimated Cost of 1431.90 cr.has commenced at the locations,wherever land is available.
- 3rd and 4th Line between Chennai Beach and Korukkupet 8 KM and 4th line between Korukkupet – Tiruvottiyur 5 KM would be commissioned this year.
- Singaperumalkoil – Guduvancherry section 11 KM is also targeted to commission this year as part of 3rd line between Tambaram and Chengalpattu.
- Pattukottai – Tiruturaipoondi – Tiruvarur 76 KM Gauge conversion is also expected commission this year.
- Madurai – Udumalpet 37 KM gauge conversion is also targeted to complete this year.
- Milavittan – Melamarudur 18 KM New Line is targeted to complete also this year.