The House of Representatives approved during a session on Sunday under Speaker Ali Abdel Aal a bill presented by the government on amending some articles of law 152 of 1980 on establishing the Egyptian Railway Authority (ERA).
The bill allows ERA to enable investors to run, administer and maintain railway services without abiding by law 129 of 1947 on railways and law no 61 of 1958 on giving concessions related to investment in natural resources and public utilities.
It also allows ERA to establish stock exchange companies and trade in their shares while giving the ERA workers the right to buy 10 percent of the companies shares.
The bill imposes a jail term ranging between two to three years on those who encroach on areas along the railways.
Egyptian National Railway is one of the largest economic institutions in Egypt and the Arab world, and is the largest in the area of transport services (passengers and goods). It’s considered the backbone of passenger transport in Egypt, where the volume of railway passengers and goods transport is:
- Passengers transport: 500 million passengers annually (about 1.4 million passengers a day).
- Goods transport: 6 million tons annually.
- The total length of network is 9570 km
- Paths of quadripartite lines 20 km
- Paths of double lines 1466 km
- Paths of single line 3667 km
- Railway’s yards, workshops and warehouses
Signals system on the heavy lines of movement to achieve the safety factors on them
- Lines are working by electrical signals 15%
- Lines are working by mechanical signal 85%
The total number of stations is 705. major, sub and medium -stations, Including:
- Main stations number 22
- Central stations number 59
- Medium stations number 60
- Small stations number 564
Bridges and Tunnels
Number of 885 Bridges and Tunnels
- Railway bridges on the Nile and waterways, 511 bridge
- Bridges above the Railway for cars, 58 Bridge
- Tunnels for cars and pedestrians, 137 tunnel
- Bridges overhead for pedestrians, 137 bridge
- 342 German locomotive, capacity 2475 hp
- 45 Canadian locomotive, capacity 2475 hp
- 30 U.S. locomotive, capacity 1850 hp
- 253 Canadian locomotive, capacity 1650 hp
- 30 locomotive maneuver Spanish, capacity 1200 hp
- 80 new U.S. locomotive GE, capacity 4000 HP
- 40 new U.S. locomotive EMD, capacity 3245 hp
- 820 The total
Passenger transport service
The fleet of Passenger transport coaches is 3500 including 850 air-conditioned coaches the passenger transport service on the ENR of different qualities, ranging in speed from 90 to 120 km / h Fast sleep trains, and first and second AC luxury Special trains Renovated trains Suburban trains, with average speed of 90 km / h.