The Chennai Division of Southern Railway is gearing up to induct 3 phase EMUs into service in the Chennai – Tambaram – Chengalpattu – Tirumalpur route. Trial runs of this 3 phase EMU rake are being conducted between Tambaram – Chengalpattu. After completion of statutory trial runs, this 3 phase EMU rake will be introduced for passenger services. The date of introduction will be notified later.Shri R.K. Kulshrestha, General Manager, Southern Railway accompanied by Shri A.K.Kathpal, Principal Chief Mechanical Engineer, Shri Naveen Gulati, Divisional Railway Manager, Chennai, and other Railway Officials, inspected the EMU Car Shed unit located at Tambaram for commissioning of the new EMU Suburban rail coach manufactured at ICF/S.Rly and handed over to EMU Car Shed, Tambaram, for public services.
The new 12-car rake comprising of 4 units with solid state IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors) based 3 phase propulsion drive system, all the coaches are provided with many additional features for better passenger journey and additional safety features in ladies compartment.
Salient features of 3 phase EMUs:
- Manufactured by ICF, Chennai.
- Coaches are fabricated with stainless steel body and provided with electronic sensors for computer monitored speed control and braking system.
- Energy efficient and Higher hauling capacity
- LED indication for chain pulling.
- Regeneration of 30% power during braking for conservation of energy.
- Smooth speed control by VVVF technology for comfortable riding.
- Event Recorder for recording the data of train operation and other train control systems.
- Surveillance cameras (CCTV) in ladies coaches to strengthen security for women passengers.
- In Addition to fans, Modular Roof Mounted Forced Air Ventilation System which supplies 16000m3/hr fresh air into the passenger area is provided.
- GPS based Passenger Information System for announcement of stations and display as well.
- LED based lighting for better illumination and energy conservation.
- Maximum speed – 105 kmph.
- Stainless steel body coaches for aesthetic appearance, better durability and safety.
- Corrosion resistance stainless steel pipelines for more reliability and minimal maintenance.
- Passenger carrying capacity: Seats – 1168 nos. and standing passengers – 4852 nos.
- Air-conditioned cab for crew comfort.
- PA system for private communication between crew and also for in-coach announcement.
- Emergency stop button in cabin for immediate stop, during emergency situations