To upgrade the facilities and services to the suburban commuters, South Eastern Railway put into service newly built GPS based 3-phase indigenous EMU (Electrical Multiple Unit) train in Suburban Section of Kharagpur Division this afternoon (22.03.2018).
Sri S N Agrawal, General Manager, South Eastern Railway and Sri K R K Reddy, Divisional Railway Manager, Kharagpur graced the occasion while the senior most Motorman, Sri Kamal Ahmed flagged off the newly built GPS based 3-phase indigenous EMU train.
3-phase (Alternating Current) EMU rake with Insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) based propulsion system is being introduced in suburban service of S. E. Railway. Following are the salient features/advantages of this new rake in comparison with existing single phase EMU rakes.
Safety for woman passengers:
- CCTV camera: To increase woman passenger’s safety CCTV cameras have been installed in Ladies Compartment.
- Flasher light indication with buzzer: Flasher light indication unit with buzzer has been provided outside Ladies & disabled passenger coach. In case of passenger alarm chain pull (ACP) this unit outside that coach will start glowing with buzzer sound and information will be available to both the motorman & guard.
- Better Ventilation: For better ventilation inside coach, Roof mounted ventilation unit (RMVU) have been provided in each coach along with 450 mm sweep fan.
- Better illumination: The full rake is equipped with LED light for better illumination & energy saving as compared to normal fluorescent light provided in conventional rake.
- GPS based Passenger Information System (PIS) with in coach display:GPS based Passenger Information System (PIS) with in coach display unit, in-coach speaker and LED based Head code has been provided in this rake. This system announces as well as displays the present station, next station and various safety messages.
- Compartment Doors : The rake is fitted with easy to slide, light weight sliding doors supported by imported sliding mechanism including user friendly locks, latches and maintenance free rollers.
Passenger safety items:
Various passenger safety items have been incorporated in this rake such as anti slipping arrangement (knurling) in doorway vertical bar (for easy gripping), safety net in every window, ladder in every coach etc.
Aesthetics: Aero-dynamic design, magenta-white PU paint and all stainless steel furnishing gives this rake a pleasant aesthetics.
Another 3 rakes of these types is ready for commissioning and it has been planned to induct within a week. Total 6 rakes have been allotted to South Eastern Railway and all the 6 rakes will be brought into service in a very short span.